Our prehistoric "Guggenheim" in the North of Spain and South of France

Researching about the different concepts of prehistoric art, paleolithic art and rock art to write this post, I have found a general idea on the web that helped me to be aware of the importance of this richness we had in and around the Basque Country. The paleolithic rock art appears in a much richer way in western Europe, whilst the rock art in other parts of the world happens after Paleolithic. 


Map of Paleolithic art by Vicent Mourre & José Manuel Benito

If you observe this map, in there are three areas of accumulation of Paleolithic art: the North of Spain (you can see as reference Altamira), the French area of Dordogne (check for Lascaux) and Germany (near Willendorf). From the Basque Country until Dordogne valley is about 6 hours driving with a lot of places of interest to visit on the way to make your travel more interesting. You can let me know your interest through my contact form. Also both in the Basque Country, Cantabria, Asturias and Castille there are many villages and towns with a lot of history waiting for you to discover them.  


If you come to Bilbao to see the Guggenheim Museum, please, do not forget to pay a visit to these caves, so close, and so different. A perfect option for a day tour with me. 


If you want to see this unusual place, do not forget to contact me through my email info@ernestodelgado.com or through
 my contact form